The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery is pleased to launch a national search for a new General Cardiac Surgeon to join our faculty. This is an exceptional opportunity for a driven, passionate heart surgeon to grow their career under an experienced surgeon who is highly recognized for his excellence in teaching. The cardiac surgeon will provide high quality care for patients of the Zablocki VA and Froedtert Hospital.
This opportunity offers you the best of both worlds. Highlights include:
• Incredible VA benefits including employment has to offer including pension, life-long insurance coverage, immediate employer matching 401(K) up to 5%, and more!
• Support, resources, and mentorship of an academic practice.
• Opportunities for advancement into a leadership role.
• The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) is a distinguished leader and innovator in the education and development of the next generation of physicians, scientists, pharmacists, and health professionals. As an academic medical center, we are involved in innovative, ground-breaking research and offer patients highly individualized care.
• Our research program is actively working on projects that span heart failure, mechanical circulatory assist devices, cardiac transplantation, heart failure related device therapy, and health economics.
• Our collaborative multidisciplinary team includes: cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, pathologists, pharmacists, transplant coordinators, nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists, cardiac rehabilitation specialists registered dietitians, social workers, financial counselors, and psychologists.
• MCW is an active campus in the heart of a growing city. When you join MCW, you become a member of one of the top private medical schools in the nation and one of the largest research institutions in Wisconsin. Not only will you experience our commitment to delivering the next generation of excellent healthcare, you'll practice in a warm and supportive environment where you can grow professionally and personally
About the Department
The Department of Surgery is comprised of 11 divisions, including 9 clinical divisions, a divisions for education, and a division for research, including more than 100 clinical faculty. Under the leadership of the Chair of Surgery, Dr. Douglas Evans, the department is committed to clinical excellence, innovative surgical research, academic achievement/professional development, and surgical education. The Department has a large clinical presence on the campus of the academic medical center and the Zablocki VA Medical Center, along with a significant number of regional affiliations and practice locations outside of the metro Milwaukee area.
There are approximately 110 full time and P/T faculty and 60 trainees including a residency and six fellowship programs. The Department has an annual budget of $103M with annual research funding of approximately $8 million.
About the Division
The Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery consists of 13 collaborative, passionate cardiothoracic surgeons and 19 advanced practice providers (APP’s). The division provides world class care for all cardiac and non-cardiac thoracic patients from all over Wisconsin and beyond. Some highlights include:
• Expanded donor capabilities by utilizing the TransMedics OCS system for heart and lung preservation, allowing MCW surgeons to travel to destinations as far away as Washington State to retrieve donor organs.
• Record setting rate for recovering and rehabilitating a patient at home on the total artificial heart for almost six months before undergoing successful heart transplantation.
• A growing transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) program and opportunities for our patients to participate in the Early TAVR Trial, Unload Trial, and Reprise IV Trial.
• Access to the MCS/ ECMO Service provided at Froedtert Hospital which was recently accepted by the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO) on the pathway to “Center of Excellence” for ECMO.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a passion for the mission and vision of MCW’s Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery and will have a strong track record of scholarship appropriate for faculty appointment in the School of Medicine.
In addition, candidates should possess the following qualifications, experience, and skills:
• Minimum of an MD, DO, or foreign medical equivalent and be board-certified in Thoracic Surgery.
• Full unrestricted licensure to practice in the state of Wisconsin
• A distinguished academic career in research (basic science, clinical or translational), education, and/or quality and process improvement with a national reputation in Thoracic Surgery.
• An ability to foster a highly collaborative academic environment
Our ideal candidate is one who is able to work with current surgeons in delivering clinical excellence. The candidate should also have a strong academic commitment, with respect to both research and education. The Medical College of Wisconsin values diversity and is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in education and employment. We are dedicated to diversity and inclusion of all people and groups. We particularly encourage those who are underrepresented in medicine to apply.
To learn more or to apply, please contact:
Gabrielle Pollard, CMSR, FAAPPR
Sr. Physician Recruiter
Applications should include a letter of interest, CV or resume, and a separate list of references.